Of bicycles and cars...

I am cyclist (thanks to my sweetie). I cycle to work (thanks to my sweetie). It is only a 3.5 miles ride (one way), but I love it. When I lived in New York City, I would cycle everywhere, fearless in Manhattan's traffic. Not only is cycling good for the environment (one less small commute by car), it's good for you. I get to work energized, and fresh. And it forces me to rehydrate, something I would feel no inclination doing if I didn't exercise this way.

Now where I bike is probably more interesting: between Setauket and Stony Brook University Hospital on New York's Long Island. One of the most dangerous places to bike, with a list of casualties of both death and injuries ranging from students to citizens just trying to enjoy themselves. 

Why is it so dangerous? Well, drivers on this part of Long Island have, in most cases, a well-deserved bad reputation. They are, for lack of a single good descriptive adjective, enraged balls of nerves when behind the wheel. They are not known for their patience or FairPlay on the road. And they, like a lot of people, have also the habit of phoning, or worse, texting while driving.

Okay, so boo drivers, right? Yes, to some extent, yes.

BUT: Just this morning, I rode in and noticed at least 5 traffic violations by cyclists, and NONE of them were wearing a helmet. Not one! And those weren't all students. I spotted faculty in there too! Seriously.

So if you want drivers to be better, let's remember: FairPlay, like charity, begins at home.  

Sharing the road and FairPlay goes both way.

So here is my advice for cyclists (hoping some of my students read this): 

- PLEASE wear a f******g helmet. A colleague of mine got 8 skull fractures from a minor fall at very low speed. She was not wearing a helmet. Had she done so, her skull would still be in one piece. Helmets save lives (no matter that absurd 'study' may claim otherwise - the study is beyond flawed, with beyond belief flawed statistics).

- Be visible: have lights (both front and rear) on your bike, and dress brightly. Or if you don't, put a reflective vest on. It is very hard for drivers to see you, especially at dusk and at night. I speak from experience as a driver! Make yourself seen. Make a fashion splash, not a road splash.

- Respect the code applicable to motorized vehicles. A red light, or a stop sign is not optional. Unlike Pirates of the Caribbean, the code here is not a suggestion. It's the law.

- Be aware and anticipate!!! And that is important. That is a lesson I got from the Harlem Auto School when i took my driving exam in New York City: be aware of your environment! You are the vehicle that travels at the lowest speed, if compared with a car. So technically, you should have more time to anticipate. It is not easy, and requires a lot of concentrations on your part (so listening to your iPod while riding is probably not a good idea - see below). But as much as you can, try not only to anticipate the car in front of you's next move, but also the car behind that car. This morning, I offered a lady to drive into the parking lot of a super market, even though I had the right of way, because I noticed that had she stopped to let me pass, the car behind her, coming in WAY too fast (and with a driver on the phone) would have rammed into her.

- Never assume that a driver has seen you, so please, my little ducklings, do slow down at every intersections, every entry or exit of parking lots, every bend where you know the cars won't be able to see you until it's too late. Give drivers a long reflex time, because they are going much faster than you are.

- Don't have your iPod on, or ear plugs when you ride. Anything that may makes you less aware of your surroundings or distract you is not advisable. Oh, I know, it is wonderful to barrel down the road with your favorite band rocking your ride... but you won't hear a car honk or getting too close. 

- Just like drivers, don't f*****g text or phone while riding. 

When I came back from work this evening, I found myself at the usual four-way stop, with a car. The car had arrived earlier than me, but despite its obvious right of way, the driver looked reluctant to go on account of me being on a bicycle. I indicated clearly that it was his right of way, and so the driver kicked the car into gear, with a look of delighted astonishment.

Isn't it time we started mending the relationship between cyclists and car drivers? Like every relationship, mending starts with a smile and a nice gesture. And this is one relationship we cannot afford to let fail.

It all starts with you. 

My trusty steed in my sweetie's office.

Comments

Popular Posts