'What the Black Pearl really is, is freedom'


Copyright Disney - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl


True dat! One's own craft feels like and is freedom. Freedom to explore, to roam the rivers/lakes/seas/oceans. 

But one's own craft is also a potential one way to Davy Jones' locker. And I have become most aware of this since receiving my own sea kayak for my birthday. 

Because I am a newbie, I will not dispense knowledge on sea kayaking, but rather narrate what it's like to be a newbie on sea kayaks.

I am not completely new to sea kayak, or kayaking in general. I have been kayaking for many years, but on few occasions, and most often in a group. The best experience I have ever had, was sea kayaking in Alaska. But... I was well-surrounded by expert kayakers and group leaders who knew exactly what they were doing and had given us a small training before we set off. 

Now, 10 years later, with my own kayak, things seem... very different, and a lot less carefree. I factor both the age, and the lack of pros nearby to my new found respect for the dangers of the sea kayaking.

So here are the few things I have found out and a few (stupid) things i have done:
  • I thought I was well prepared when I ordered my kayak complete with PFD (Personal flotation device - ie life jacket), my paddle and my a set of nautical maps of the Long Island Sound. I was miserably wrong. Even though I took the maiden voyage of the HMS Osita Polar on calm, bay water on a beautiful day to test my new kayak, I was missing some vital part of equipment which could easily have cost me dearly if the weather had suddenly turned. Even in the bay.
  • Love google: it is when googling 'sea kayaking' that I found a series of really informative little videos on what to do and what not to do, and what is essential gear vs extra-gear.

  • Things I had on my grand day out:
    • A kayak
    • A paddle
    • A paddle leash
    • An appropriately-rated PFD
    • A two-way radio with NOAA channel and WX alerts
    • A set of changing clothes (including a fleece) in a dry bag
    • A First Aid kit 
    • A 750 ml water bottle
    • A wetsuit (on me)
    • Extra suncreen
    • A large brim hat
    • Map of the Port Jefferson Harbor 

The HMS Osita Polar on its maiden voyage. Note the burning emptiness of the bow, devoid of any safety equipment
  • The items I was missing on my first grand day out... (<bows her head in shame>), which I have now acquired.
    • A kayak bilge pump
    • A paddle float
    • A bilge sponge
    • A signal light (for overcast/foggy/late afternoon/night kayaking)
    • Any kind of weather station or advancing thunderstorm detection device (really important, especially on Long Island)
    • Books on sea kayaking, including videos (!!! Not to read while kayaking AND books do not replace lessons with a pro, or experience!!!)
    • Extra batteries for the two-way radio
    • Extra water (aside from my water bottle)
    • Energy bars or any food items
    • Experience paddling properly
The next week...

Of course, I was not going on an extended stay, since it was my first time flying solo on a new kayak... but still, the top items should never have been missing from my kayak on that day, especially given the treacherousness of the water and traffic in and out of the Port Jefferson harbor.
When I came back from the water, I had a very sore back, blisters on my thumbs, painful wrists, but a smile to my ears. 
After buying two essential and brilliant books *see below for info*, I realized that I had been paddling in the wrong posture. And while the books helped me correct it, nothing can help like lessons with pros.
Lesson learned. I now plan to take some serious lessons in sea kayaking, probably on the other side of the US, where the water is notoriously rough, but where the kayaking is spectacular: the Pacific Northwest. Be warned, Seattle.


 The important thing is: if you're sinking, do so with class and style!

Books:

Comments

Popular Posts